Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Fouad Ajami is at it again:

“...Unmistakably, there is in the air of the Arab world a new contest about the possibility and the meaning of freedom... Mr. Bush may not be given to excessive philosophical sophistication, but his break with "the soft bigotry of low expectations" in the Arab-Islamic world has found eager converts among Muslims and Arabs keen to repair their world, to wean it from a culture of scapegoating and self-pity. Pick up the Arabic papers today: They are curiously, and suddenly, readable. They describe the objective world; they give voice to recognition that the world has bypassed the Arabs. The doors have been thrown wide open, and the truth of that world laid bare. Grant Mr. Bush his due: The revolutionary message he brought forth was the simple belief that there was no Arab and Muslim "exceptionalism" to the appeal of liberty. For a people mired in historical pessimism, the message of this outsider was a powerful antidote to the culture of tyranny."

There’s more.

I especially like the term “the soft bigotry of low expectations”. That sums up the attitude of Finns when it comes to the Arab world.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I especially like the term “the soft bigotry of low expectations”. That sums up the attitude of Finns when it comes to the Arab world."

Well, it applies to you too. You really have "low expectations" considering Finns. That's not bigotry?

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have specific examples, such as government policies or articles published, state them. You may well have a point. Otherwise you just sound like a bigot yourself.

3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If you have specific examples, such as government policies or articles published, state them. You may well have a point."

Actually I was talking about you, finnpundit, not the USA. I don't think USA as a nation have something fundamental against Finns/Finland. Partly because Finalnd is such a small player in international politics. Partly because there's really no reason for that.

"Otherwise you just sound like a bigot yourself."
No, you sound like a bigot! And my father is going to...

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I fucked it up, thought the " If you have specific example" -post was finnpundit.

sorry.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Finnpundit said...

How can I be bigoted against the Finns when I am a Finn myself?

It's time some of you exercise some logical thinking.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How can I be bigoted against the Finns when I am a Finn myself?"

That's not impossible. Maybe you're ashamed of your roots or something. Quite many Finns are, they're always complaining how "Finns are such a rednecks, bigots" etc.

Actually, I didn't know you're a Finn.

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finnpundit said:
"How can I be bigoted against the Finns when I am a Finn myself?"

Most of the people who seem to hate us finns and our politics etc. seem to be finns.
And most of them seem to be bloggers :) well so it goes.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home